The widespread issue of plastic pollution and what we can do about it (quiz)
There are several environmental issues that affect the planet on a daily basis, one of these being plastic pollution. Plastic pollution refers to the build-up of plastic objects in the Earth’s environment that have an adverse effect on things such as oceans, humans, wildlife, etc. Plastic pollution is a widespread issue, with every country on the planet being accountable for the crisis. However, it should be noted that there are a number of processes which we can undertake to help tackle this crisis. This article will outline the troubling effects of plastic pollution and demonstrate tips on how you can live a greener, more sustainable lifestyle.
The rapidly increasing production of disposable plastics means we’re using more plastic than ever. Figures from Oceans Plastic Free show that at least 8 million pieces of plastic enter the ocean on a daily basis- this can stay in the environment for 450 years. Roughly 51 trillion microscopic pieces of plastic, weighing 269,000 tonnes can be found in the planet’s waters- this equates to the weight of around 1,345 adult blue whales. Furthermore, the production of plastics requires a significant number of resources- this causes carbon emissions and aids in global warming. For more information, take this quick quiz on plastic pollution:
So, what can we do to help? The effects of plastic pollution are obviously daunting, but there are definitely ways in which we can assist. For example:
- Reduce the number of disposable plastics you use- bear in mind how many disposable plastic products you use in your daily life. Try to use reusable shopping bags, metal straws, reusable coffee cups, etc.
- Make sure you recycle where possible- try to separate your waste accordingly.
- Stop buying water- instead of constantly throwing away empty water bottles, carry a reusable one to reduce waste.
- Buy second hand items- if they’re just as good as new, buying people’s unwanted items can help to reduce waste.
- Try to take care of your electrical items- try to get your electric items prepared before getting rid of them. If your items are beyond repair, try to see if the manufacturer will reuse or recycle your items.
- Buy products in bulk- this prevents waste from plastic packaging.
The issues surrounding plastic pollution are evidently concerning. The figures show the extremely detrimental effects plastic pollution is having on the oceans, but are we doing enough to help? It’s important to remember that living a greener, eco-friendlier lifestyle is definitely a step in the right direction when it comes to protecting the planet’s environment.