Increasing number of people are talking about green business initiatives and it is in talks for a good reason – it really helps the environment and it is also beneficial for the company’s balance sheet. Well, a greener office certainly does cut down the impact on the planet while being a more productive and healthier place to work.
So, whether you own a factory with over 100 employees or an office with 5 employees, there are several ways in which you can save energy, all you need is to implement the below-discussed six ways.
Take The Help Of Biodegradable Cleaners
When you use natural biodegradable cleaning products, it significantly reduces your exposure to the toxins & various harmful chemicals and most importantly reduces the release in the atmosphere. So, the next time you are out of shampoo, laundry detergent, or a soap, make sure you have opted for a greener option. Nowadays, more and more stores are stocking green products in bulk.
Opting For Alternative Energy In Your Office
In some parts of the country, purchasing green power is quite convenient. You just need to sign up to purchase green power from your utility provider. As you might be aware of the fact that various renewable energy sources are being used to produce green power including the wind, hydropower, plant matter, solar power, and geothermal.
Yes, it is true that when you buy green power, your electricity bills do increase, which is further used to purchase clean energy in order to be fed into the electrical grid.
Prefer Using Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs) Or Light Emitting Diode (LED) Lights
Yes, it’s true that CFLs and LEDs are both way costlier than the conventional incandescent bulbs, but even though they are pricier they last long and use less amount of energy. Let us understand both CFLs and LEDs with the help of their benefits –
Benefits of CFLs –
- Saves Energy – They are more energy efficient and use 50% to 80% less energy as compared to incandescent bulbs. If you have a 100-watt incandescent bulb, it can be replaced with a 22-watt CFL, above all you get the same amount of light as well.
- Initial Cost – Yes, they will initially cost you more but in the longer run, they are less expensive as they last long as compared to incandescent bulbs. CFLs generally use a third of the electricity and the best part is lasts 10 times longer as compared to incandescent bulbs, making them less expensive.
- CO2 Emissions – CFLs produce less carbon emissions. Just one bulb can easily cut down half-ton CO2 emissions from the atmosphere.
- Versatile – Being versatile, CFLs can be used at all those places where you use your incandescent bulbs. They are available in varied sizes and shapes and you can use them for ceiling lighting, table lamps, or track lighting.
Benefits of LEDs –
- Long Life – LEDs usually have a lifespan of 30,000-50,000 hours or maybe even longer. A standard incandescent bulb lasts only for 1,000 hours.
- Energy Efficient – LEDs use less than 50% electricity than conventional incandescent bulbs, resulting in significant energy costs.
- Durability – LEDs are break resistant and they are also immune to vibrations.
- Instant On – The best thing about LEDs is that they come with 100% brightness the moment they are switched on.
Recycle Outside The Box
Recycling everything that can be recycled is not the right approach, instead think green whenever you buy something or decide to replace different items. Say no to buying brand new furniture and go for used or probably vintage furniture (despite of being old they look trendy). If you are interested in buying vintage office furniture, then you can check out numerous online portals and moreover, these portals do offer attractive deals.
Go For Hybrids
If you have a fleet of cars, official delivery trucks, and company cars, purchase hybrids or you can opt for biodiesel in your vehicles. In addition, there are multiple ways in which your business can end up saving money by having an energy audit of the amount of fuel you are using and also including the number of trips your vehicles are making.
Use Computers Smartly
You must be having lots of computers in your office, set them to automatically sleep off mode or turn them off when they are not in use. Use motion sensors
Lisa Coffey is a writer by profession. She has a knack for coming up with novel ideas. She currently writes for Qwikfix. She contributes ideas to guide upcoming/established businesses take giant leaps in the competitive market. She has also worked for scores of magazines, writing exciting content on topics such as Sales and Marketing. She proudly serves as an advisor to startups.